Saturday, March 29, 2014

Finding Learning in Nature



Sometimes a simple walk outside can lead you to something that will become lengthy or robust learning opportunities within your classroom. This happened to me one day while the lawn was being mowed. A large green caterpillar was crawling slowly along the mulch around my Red Maple tree. Being such a lover of learning I caught the caterpillar and put my oldest son to work researching what type of caterpillar it was. He quickly determined that it was a Luna Moth Caterpillar and we set up a habitat for the caterpillar so that we could watch the upcoming transformation. I brought the caterpillar into my classroom and incorporated it into my students' activities for the next week. It was a great learning experience and we  learned so much about the Luna Moth!

Interested in incorporating this beautiful creature into your classroom activities? Click HERE to go to my Luna Moth Integrated Unit!



No comments:

Post a Comment